On May 12, 2011, Philadelphia legal recruiters Susan Rubinovitz, Esq. and Stephanie Ristvey of SMR Legal Search presented and sponsored a career seminar to Philadelphia area in-house counsel through DELVACCA (Delaware Valley Corporate Counsel Association). The seminar was entitled Navigating Your In-house Counsel Career in Your Thirties and Beyond: Making Smart Choices.
Susan and Stephanie were joined by panelists, Cole Silver, General Counsel of Softgate Systems in Princeton, New Jersey and Kevin Stepanuk, Associate General Counsel of Exelon in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The seminar addressed the following topics:
- Ways to be useful to the CEO and Board of Directors
- Common mistakes junior and senior in-house attorneys make and tips to avoid them
- How not to act like out-side counsel pretending to be in-house counsel
- The value of networking
- Intangibles that only come with life’s experiences
- Staying passionate about the practice law
- Pros and Cons of being a specialist vs. generalist
- Knowing when it’s time to look for new opportunities
- The legal market, what can you expect
- Interviewing 101, a refresher course
- Resume: A work in Progress
Approximately 50 Philadelphia area in-house attorneys attended the seminar and cocktail reception that followed where there was lots of networking. A fun and informative evening was had by all.
SMR Legal Search is a premiere legal recruiting firm that is based in Philadelphia and New Jersey and focuses exclusively on placing attorneys and paralegals in permanent positions. Their focus is in Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and all of Pennsylvania as well as New Jersey, Delaware and New York. They place attorneys and paralegals nationally as well. SMR Legal Search’s legal recruiters are attorneys and paralegals who have over half a century of combined law firm and legal recruiting experience. Their specialties are In-house Counsel Placements, Partner Placements, Mergers, Practice Group Moves, Associate Placements, Paralegal Placements and Diversity Initiatives. To find out more about SMR Legal Search, you may view their website at www.smrlegalsearch.com or phone 215-665-0800.